Demolished Basketball Court Won’t Be Rebuilt

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — A basketball court in Annapolis that was demolished by a developer last year won’t be replaced.

The Capital of Annapolis reports that city officials thought the court at Annapolis Gardens, which was
destroyed to make way for a new management office and parking lot, would be rebuilt with public funds. The city had committed about $130,000 for the project.

But Judith Siegel, the chairwoman of developer Landex Corp., says that won’t happen. Her 50-year lease calls for redeveloping and managing the public housing community.

City spokeswoman Rhonda Wardlaw said the city was preparing for the facility to be rebuilt as a basketball court.

But Siegel instead wrote to Annapolis Mayor Josh Cohen, saying there were suitable recreational facilities available at a nearby middle school, that basketball courts can attract unruly teenagers, and that it didn’t make sense to use public funds on a basketball court.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

More From CBS Baltimore

Tune In To The Grammys On Feb 15!
Track Weather On The Go With Our App!

Listen Live