Doctors Warn Against Eating Wild Mushrooms

WASHINGTON (AP) — Mushrooms are sprouting up everywhere after recent rainy weather, but doctors at Georgetown University are warning against eating them after treating two men who fell dangerously ill from toxic mushrooms in the last two weeks.

Frank Constantinopla and his wife picked mushrooms from their backyard in Springfield, Va., to cook in a stir fry. Within hours of eating the fungi known as “death cap” mushrooms, they felt sick. His symptoms were worse and within days, he was suffering from the early stages of liver failure.

One week later, a retired farmer from Frederick, Md., fell ill with mushroom toxicity. Doctors were able to use a drug that’s undergoing clinical trials and now both men are recovering.

Doctor say people should buy their mushrooms from legitimate farms or grocery stores.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Baltimore

Track Weather On The Go With Our App!
Your Podcast Network

Listen Live