Union Station Evacuated For Electrical Fire

WASHINGTON (AP) — Washington’s Union Station and the Metro stop it houses have reopened after being temporarily evacuated because of an electrical fire.

District of Columbia fire department spokesman Pete Piringer said crews responded to a report of an electrical panel fire at the Metro station at about 6:30 p.m. Sunday. The fire sent smoke billowing from the ventilation shafts in front of historic Union Station.

Both were evacuated and about 65 firefighters responded. The fire was put out by 7:30 p.m. and the train station was then reopened. There were no injuries.

Metro spokesman Dan Stessel said trains were held up in both directions for about 25 minutes. By 8 p.m., both Metro station entrances were open. He said Metro electricians are on the scene. Stessel said water from Union Station apparently infiltrated a Metro electrical room, causing the sparks and smoke.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

  • Electricians in houston

    Pursuing a job just as one electrician is an excellent selection since there is lots of setting to grow with this discipline. Energy is one thing utilized in each and every element of each of our …Electrician in Harrow

blog comments powered by Disqus
Track Weather On The Go With Our App!

Listen Live