Firefighters Assess The Damage After 3-Alarm Fire At Tire Store In West Baltimore

BALTIMORE (WJZ)— Crews are still finding active hot spots at the site of a massive auto shop fire.

Kai Jackson has more on the firefighters’ ongoing efforts to kill the blaze.

This fire was an inferno and hours later, firefighters were still dousing it to make sure it’s out.

Plumes of smoke billowed from a raging tire fire at the intersection of Belvedere and Wabash in Northwest Baltimore. Investigators say it started around 4 p.m. Monday. Some 85 firefighters fought the three-alarm blaze in a combination of aerial and ground assault.

Firefighters faced huge, dangerous fireballs, which produced thick and toxic tire fumes.

“Literally one breath of the smoke could suffocate someone,” said Chief Kevin Cartwright.

Witnesses say the business that burned is called Belvedere Tire.

“They sell used tires. Any time I ever need tires for my car, I come here and buy them for a reasonable price,” said Maurice Day.

One man said he and his friends were inside the building and barely got out alive.

“There was a small spark that occurred in the tire shop and I watched everyone run out,” said Raymond Thornton, Jr.

Firefighters say an unidentified person was burned on the arm. The victim was taken to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center for treatment.

Reuben Maxwell owns the business next door to the tire shop.

“I still worry because the fire’s so close to my shop. I still worry,” Maxwell said.

Officials say there could be traffic delays in the area Tuesday morning and advise motorists to use alternate routes if possible.

Firefighters used some 30 pieces of equipment to battle the fire.

Comments

1. Marques Carter says:

This Fire Tire Rim That Store Is Out Of Control

2. TJN72 says:

Get real a spark does not light a tire off. Maybe a crack pipe?

3. Bad Joke for You says:

Wow.

Firefighters battled the blaze for over 11 hours.

Bet they got …TIRED.

Heh.

4. teresa tolliver says:

Everytime I brought a tire from them I would have to return the next day with a slow leak. Lol. Bentalou is a better choice for cheap tires. They are organized better service and no druggies hanging around.

5. teresa tolliver says:

Everytime I brought a tire from them I would have to return the next day with a slow leak. Lol. Bentalou tire is a better choice for cheap tires. They are organized better service and no druggies hanging around.

6. MissLittleBaltimore says:

lol, a spark?! A spark did all of that?! yeah okay. How’d he see the spark; but said he was standing on the corner….smh Anyway, Im just glad it didn’t reach the gas station that is RIGHT next to it.