EEOC Sues Senior Living Center Over Headscarf

BALTIMORE (AP) — An Ellicott City senior living facility is being sued for allegedly violating federal law for failing to hire a Muslim woman who would not remove her head scarf.

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission filed a lawsuit against Morningside House on behalf of Khadijah Salim on Monday.

The lawsuit says Morningside House’s director of health and wellness asked if Salim during a June 2010 interview if she would remove her religious headscarf, called a hijab, if she worked at the facility. Salim was not hired or contacted after her interview.

The EEOC says Morningside House violated a federal law that requires employers to reasonably accommodate an applicant or employee’s religious beliefs or practices.

A telephone message left for the Morningside House executive director was not immediately returned.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. willie says:

F……k them towel head scarf M’fr’s.

1. baltimore resident says:

KUDOS

2. common sense -gone says:

My medicl condition mandates that I wear a G-String all the time.
    If this lawsuit prevails please don’t stare when Iam working at your nursing home

1. baltimore resident says:

why not would rather look at your G string then try to figure out if the rag head is gonna try and kill me, in your case even if you tried to kill me I would go with a smile on my face

3. baltimore resident says:

seiously now, she files a lawsuit because she was not hired after an interview?? Did it ever occur to her or the lawyer that someone else was more qualified?? I guess I need to file about 100 lawsuits from over the course of my life for not being hired for some reason or other, I will claim it was a religious bias that I wasn’t hired, then now I could quit my current job and live on a lawsuit award the rest of my life, ain’t America grand!!!

1. ninelives58 says:

That’s what I thought. Unless there is more to the conversation that took place with the employer, like words specifically saying that she could not work there unless she removed the headscarf, this muslim women has no basis for jumping to the conclusion that she wasn’t hired for that reason. Good grief, my daughter spent some time job hunting recently and usually there is no contact made or explanation given after an interview where you don’t get the job.

4. Mr. Right says:

The muzzy’s are coming! The muzzy’s are coming!
    This is another protected class of people; that are forcing their will on the people. This is a form of jihad ( to strive ) please, what ever you do, read up on Islam it is NOT a religion of peace! its whole intent is to destroy western civilized as we know it and to force sharia on all of the world. Please don’t take my word for it, go online hear it from the leading imams mouths themselves go to YouTube , jihad watch, or thereligionofpeace. Although most muslims aren’t terrorist 99.9% of terrorist are muslim! and that’s a fact!

5. Jack says: