Laurel Apartment Fire Forces 60 Out Of Their Homes
LAUREL, Md. (AP) — About 60 people have been forced out of their homes in Laurel after a two-alarm fire erupted in an apartment complex.
Prince George’s County fire department spokesman Mark Brady says the fire broke out about 4:30 p.m. Saturday. It took about 15 minutes to extinguish most of the flames. At least 65 firefighters and paramedics responded to the scene.
No one was injured in the blaze.
Investigators say the fire appears to be accidental. It was likely started by a malfunctioning furnace.
Two buildings will be uninhabitable, including 22 apartments.
The American Red Cross and other agencies are assisting the residents.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)