Baseball Legend Brooks Robinson Statue Unveiled At Camden Yards

BALTIMORE (WJZ)– An emotional day for the “Human Vacuum Cleaner,” Brooks Robinson. Saturday, he finally got to see something years in the making.

Adam May has more.

A statue honoring baseball legend Brooks Robinson was revealed to a cheering crowd and an emotional Mr. Oriole.

“How deeply grateful I am for this incredible statue,” he said. “Thank you from the bottom of my heart! Thank you!”

Robinson played 23 seasons with Orioles, a record-breaking third baseman who hit 268 home runs.

“He was amazing,” one fan said.

“Not only on the field, but off the field, he’s been unbelievable,” John Gardner, another Robinson fan, said.

“Like every baseball fan in Baltimore, this man has a special place in my heart,” said actor Josh Charles from “The Good Wife.”

The bronze statue stands 9 feet tall, with a real gold glove in honor of Robinson’s 16 Golden Glove awards. Baltimore native Joseph Shepard created it.

“From year to year, a certain pose came up of Brooks at third base throwing the ball to first base,” Shepard explained. “That’s the one I choose to do the statue.”

After the fanfare, Robinson says he looks forward to taking in the honor privately.

“I’ll just come one day back myself, read everything,” Robinson said. “It will be nice. It’s wonderful. Thank you!”

The statue is right in front of Pickles, across the street from Camden Yards.

Comments

1. Norm says:

One of the greatest…lol…be accurate for once Sun…THE greatest…period…

2. Norm says:

Sorry…assumed this silly reporting was from the Sun again…lol

3. Jethro Hooper says:

Just before I went to Vietnam in 1970, one of my friends invited me to see a World Series game at Memorial Stadium. After that game, I bought tickets for the next days game at the box office. That was the series when Brooks hit something like .429, and made spectacular defensive plays, including going completely horizontal to make a catch. It was astounding and unforgettable. To say that he is a legend is such an understatement. And to top it off, a great human being. Thanks Brooks.

4. joe smith says:

Too bad the orioles were not part of this.Just like the wort organization in baseball!!

1. TJ says:

THANKS BROOKS FOR GREAT MEMORYS AND GREAT TIMES

5. Curtis M Bane says:

AFTER BROOKS WENT CAL TO LIVE.HE WAS CALL TO COME BACK FOR JIM ROUSE BRITHDAY . BROOKS NOT WANT ANYTHING SPECIAL. THAT BROOKS WAY TO HELP SOME ONE YOU.