BALTIMORE (WJZ)—A Maryland family is suing the Baltimore Washington Medical Center and one of its doctors after their son’s legs had to be amputated.
Mary Bubala reports it happened after he was seen at the hospital with a fever and a sore throat.
Last December, 6-year-old Eric Flynn had a high fever, swollen tonsils and hip pain.
His parents brought him to the Baltimore-Washington Medical Center. They claim a doctor failed to give him a test for strep throat.
“When she mentioned that his tonsils were extremely swollen, I asked if she would do a strep and she said there was no need,” said Eric’s mother Darnell Boldon.
In a horrible turn of event, doctors had to amputate both Eric’s legs to save his life. The family claims an undiagnosed strep infection spread through his body, causing septic shock. They are suing the hospital, claiming a rapid strep test and antibiotics were all Eric needed.
“They discharged Eric with an erroneous and really a garbage bag diagnosis,” said H. Briggs Bedigan, family attorney.
The Baltimore Washington Medical Center released this statement:
“We first want to extend our heartfelt sympathies to Eric Flynn and his family. We applaud them for trying to educate other parents of the potential complications of advanced strep infections through media attention. Eric’s symptoms were simply not consistent with or indicative of this very aggressive form of infection.”
Eric’s parents say their son was a star soccer player but is still very active.
“I wish I was as strong as him,” said his father Eric Flynn, Sr. “He doesn’t ask for help. He figures it out himself.”
The Flynn’s lawsuit is seeking damages in excess of $30,000. State law caps settlement payouts at $655,000.