LUKE, Md. (AP) — NewPage Corp. says one worker at its western Maryland paper mill remains hospitalized after a chemical leak that sent four people in for evaluation.
A plant spokeswoman in Luke said Thursday the company is investigating the chlorine dioxide leak that prompted a nearly hourlong shutdown of part of Route 135 on Wednesday. Workers and local residents were told to stay indoors during that time.
Chlorine dioxide is a gas used mainly for disinfecting water.
Acute exposure results in irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat, coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath. It can cause bronchitis, headache and vomiting.
The company says mill operations have returned to normal.
NewPage is based in Miamisburg, Ohio.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)