2 Families Reeling After Teens Die In Car Crash

ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY, Md. (WJZ) — Police say charges are possible for the driver that caused a car crash, killing two Anne Arundel County teens.

Andrea Fujii has more on how their families are trying to cope with this horrible loss.

Both families have mixed feelings toward the driver, who police say was speeding down a dark, windy road.

Family members say Jon Deckman and Jeff Giles were inseparable and on Friday night died together.

“They were best friends. Very close friends,” said Jonathon Deckman’s mother, Charnelle Parthemore.

The two were passengers in a car of five people driving on Lawyers Hill Road in Howard County when police say the driver was speeding and crashed into a tree. Only the driver was wearing his seatbelt. The four passengers weren’t, and that’s something police say could have saved the young men’s lives.

“There’s a good chance if he would have had his seatbelt on, he would still be alive today,” said Jonathon’s brother, David Deckman.

Jon’s family remembers the 18-year-old who wanted to be a math teacher.

“You hear people all the time talk about how their kids [are], about how wonderful the kids are but I can honestly say he was the perfect child,” Parthemore said.

On Saturday night, a vigil was held for 19-year-old Jeff Giles at his alma mater, North County High School, where his parents talked about his positive attitude.

“Jeffrey was just an incredible kid, a young man who literally changed the world,” said David Cole, Jeff Giles’ stepfather.

As police consider charges against the 18-year-old driver, the families are split.

“I know they’re already talking about pressing charges but we have no interest in that. That young man is going to pay in his mind for the rest of his life,” Cole said.

“It’s not our place to judge but if he was speeding and caused the accident, he is at fault,” Timothy Parthemore, Jon’s stepfather, said.

But for now, no one is focusing on guilt—only grief.

Police say alcohol was not a factor in the crash. The driver is still in the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

The other two passengers were released from the hospital over the weekend.

Comments

1. moleman says:

Maybe these kids would still be alive if the parents were not so indulgent. The use of seat belts, & fewer number of kids in the car at one time but No these parents want to be cool & the kids friends allowing them to use risky behavior. Buckle up, get off the cell phones, don’t drink & just maybe you will live to be a grandparent.

1. A Concerned Mom says:

Where in this article do you see that the parents of those driving or injured are indulgent or that they thought they were “cool.” The driver had no role in his passengers choosing not to use their seatbelts. Alcohol was NOT a factor and, who are YOU, to assume that the passengers were on their cell phones. This is just a sad, sad turn of events. I’m sure, “moleman”, that you thought you were invincible when you were a teen and that excessive speed with your friends would cause no harm. My heart goes out to the familes of those children involved.

1. Catherine Brown says:

I agree with you “A Concerned Mom”

2. FYI says:

MOLEman is a troll, he just does this to get a rise out of you, and a paycheck from wjz. you get mad and hit the forum to respond while wjz gets paid per hit by the advertisers and MOLEman (eddiefast, sheriff, Willie, willie joe, the truth..l you can tell its the same guy because he uses the same verbiage and rhetoric to catch you). Call him out or ignore him and he goes away…or comes back under a different name to agree with himself.

2. Adam Reuter says:

That’s a disgusting and ignorant thing to say.

3. Steve says:

Moleman is just trolling for hits.

4. Stella says:

hey moleman! I was wondering if you have kids and if you do, you better hope that you don’t experience the unbelieable heartbreak that these parents are going through then you wouldn’t be so quick to make such insensitive remarks.

2. Mary K Smith says:

Moleman did you not see where Alcohol was NOT a factor. You post like you are perfect. These families lost children and don’t need ignorance. You are so self rightous and perfect its a shame. Have some respect for the families. Trusting your children isn’t a bad thing and it is not the parents Fault. To the families I am so sorry for your loss and my prayers are with you in your time of sorrow.

1. moleman says:

Censored, In response to your muddled response, I quote Confucious. “It is better to remain silent & be thought of as a fool rather than to speak / write aloud & remove all doubt.
      I am not a paid agent for WJZ which is a racist corp.

1. FYI says:

LOL!!!! That’s not Confucius, numbskull, it is a quote from Mark Twain who was quoting Abe Lincoln. HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!! How about taking your own advice, smarty pants!

LOLOLOLLLL!!!!!!

3. amazed by people says:

Thank You, A Concerned Mom! I personally know the family of one of the boys who lost their lives in this accident. It’s been hard enough on his younger sister ( who happens to be only 13 yrs old) and for her to hear or read all the nasty comments made about her brother by ignorant people who don’t know what they are talking about because they don’t have all the facts just breaks my heart even more. I wish more people would think before they post their comments!! How would you feel if it was your loved one? No matter what happened … who is at fault or how…they still have families who love them no matter what, who grieve for them. People need to think about families……. FYI: there are adults who talk while driving, drink & drive, not wear seat belts!

4. amazed by people says:

5. Jacki A Schmidt says:

No matter what the reasons were and are….these familes need support and prayers…not ridicule…or this or that happened becuase of this or that..they have lost their children and that alone is HEARTBREAK all in its self…to the families…my thoughts and prayers are with all of you as you go through this horrific time…

6. ronskemp says:

Well, it’s good to see that “moleman”‘s comment is no longer posted. We recently had a very similar tragedy here in Montgomery County where 3 teens lost their lives. It was unbelievable how eager people WHO DIDN’T EVEN KNOW THEM!!, who weren’t even from this area or state, were to chime in and say jjust ridiculously cruel and rude things. This, as FOUR FAMILIES lay in ruin, wondering how they were going to pick up the piece. My most sincere condolences for everyone involved with this tragedy. May God’s love surround you, and may the two young men who lost their lives rest in peace.

7. Buffalo Soldier says:

Sheriff, you can change your name but your comments are still stupid.

8. Sharon says:

Moleman needs to crawl back into his hole and shut up. How can you be so insensitive. Get a real life.

9. Merry Steen says:

Instead of belittlling each other, understand this is an outrageous accident. Let’s look at some highlights………all high school kids are aware of these wonderful twisty roads in Howard County, and think they are Nascar drivers. What are Anne Arundel kids doing over in Howard County, racing on our roads.
    I am sorry for the loss of these parents, but my first emotion is ANGER! How stupid are people/kids to think they can beat death??? My child was never indulged, but when I followed her one night, I could not keep up with her, and I’m a lead foot, expert driver. She’s a very lucky girl, but paying now with speed fines, because she sits in the palm of God’s hand.

1. dislikes judgemental people says:

Ok I’m not one to pick a fight but what does “what are Anne Arundel kids doing over in Howard County, racing on OUR roads” mean? You do realize they are neighboring counties right? And the last I checked its still a free country. Or is it you don’t want Anne Arundel county residents allowed in Howard County because we might “ruin” it? Please get over yourself…

2. Are you serious? says:

wait, did you just call yourself a lead foot, admit to chasing your teen-aged daughter at high speeds on crazy twisty roads and then say that KIDS are stupid for thinking they can beat death? Did you really just intimate that people from other counties don’t belong in YOUR county, claim that you’re teenaged daughter was never indulged and then say that she had a car of her own (I don’t care how she paid for it, if she was driving so fast your lead foot keep up with her, then she is not responsible enough to have a car of her own and YOU should know that…or are you just indulging her?).

10. Gene Walsh says:

Please wear your seatbelts! Your life depends on it, if you have teens who drive make sure they know that just by wearing that seatbelt it doubles ,triple’s your chance’s of survival in case of an accident. I feel so sorry for the Parents but you cant be there all the time…..I’m 56 and I have read this same story so many times I never ever go without wearing one. My heart goes out to all of you who have lossed someone from a car wreck

11. Mom of a teenager says:

Everyone is missing whats important here we’ve lost 2 young lives. As a mother of 2 teenagers one being 18. Teenagers tend to think for the moment not for what could happen an hour from now or even a week from now. This is an unfortunate term of events and these 2 families lives have changed drastically. As a parent this is certainlly an event I wouldn’t want to experience. I know my husband and I are always telling our son wear your seatbelt, don’t speed, always be alert to your surroundings. But the sad thing is when they are out with friends or just traveling by themselfs you can only hope and pray that they use the tools that you supplied them with. It’s a constant worry for us as parents. We would like to be able to shield them from all bad happenings. There are some things that are out of our control. This is a no win situation for all involved.

12. O'Hallerin says:

To All of you that felt the need to comment on an already difficult situation, shame on you, I personally know the families of the two boys, and to say that they were indulgent is a far cry away from the truth. The two families are some of the most God fearing people I know and are hurting and going through the ordeal of burying a loved one, a son, before their time. Were any of you at the viewing, I beg to differ, but I was, I saw the tears and held the hand of the girlfriend of one of them. This time for them is deeply personal and must be afforded the dignity that it deserves, and to you MOLEMAN, you are such a coward, and frankly an idiot if you think that these boys didn’t live their lives the right way, For the Lord. And thank you to all those that gave their kind words, the family might not hear or see them but they are appreciated nonetheless. God Bless

1. Think about it.. says:

I’m on your side, but you shouldn’t be looking for genuine human kindness in a comment forum full of strangers who could not care less. Leave the gossip to the gossip mongers and seek compassion from those who love and care for the families involved. I am sorry for your loss.

13. Accident database says:

Path targeted traffic accidents are among the most typical advantages for making a claim. Usually, your ensuing state will probably be for your guitar neck injury whiplash, that … accident