Same-Sex Marriage Opponents Begin Their Campaign

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ) — Advocates of traditional marriage are deploying to Annapolis to begin their campaign against same-sex marraige legislation.

Political reporter Pat Warren has the latest on this continuing debate.

High-profile vs. grassroots in Maryland’s marriage debate.

“For every Goliath they have, we got a David,” said Bishop Marcus Johnson.

Like Johnson’s parents, who were married for 57 years.

“And they have consistently modeled marriage all of our lives,” said Johnson.

Governor Martin O’Malley maintains the government can legalize same-sex marriage and protect religious liberty at the same time. Men of God say otherwise.

“I for one want to commend the governor for his play on words but pretty words will not change the fact that marriage is between one man and one woman, period,” said Bishop Angel Nunez.

The debate last year ended without a vote in the House, but same-sex marriage supporters think O’Malley’s political power could make passage inevitable next year.

“Well, we have something to say about inevitibality. With all humility, bring it on,” said Johnson.

For the second year in a row, it appears same-sex marriage will dominate Maryland’s legislative session.

The Maryland Marriage Alliance says it represents more than a quarter of a million people.

More from Pat Warren
Comments

1. in_my_opinion says:

The Maryland Marriage Alliance is another hate based terrorist group hiding as a “religious” organizations. There is no difference between these religious groups, such as The Maryland Marriage Alliance, and the Taliban. They both promote: think and worship as I do myself because that is the one and only way.

2. Sammy the Bull says:

The majority of Maryland voters are against same sex marriage, illegals, O’Malley, Cardin, Hoyer, Van Hollen, etc, etc. Now liberals say I have no proof of percentages of voters, then place it on referendum. Let the majority rule not special interest groups.

1. Hetero-Jane says:

I was sitting here in my living room, as my husband sat at the kitchen table pouring over his paperwork. I thought how glad and grateful I am that I found him. We were in our 30’s and had already lived a million lifetimes when we met. We had both given up on finding “the one” and yet, when we started talking to each other and discovered how much we had in common, we just…fell in love. Corny, right? We are a family, now. We are best friends, teammates, partners…I love him, and 10 years later, I can’t imagine my life without him. If anyone had the nerve to tell me that I am not allowed to call him my husband…if someone or some group with voter pull used it to deny me that right because they believe that my affection for and commitment to this man (who changed my life for the better) is not IMPORTANT because they disagree with it, I would be LIVID. I would fight them tooth and nail forever.

Would the reverend like to know exactly what message he is sending out? He is saying that God’s plan isn’t working. That God is not in control. That only he and his followers (or Christians, in general) can fix the mistakes that God has made. That love, compassion and exemplary living are failing and we must resort (once again) to controlling other people’s lives by pulling government strings.

What a bunch of bullies you are. How dare you try and threaten people into living their lives in the way that makes YOU comfortable and happy. You should be ashamed of yourselves, thinking you have it right and God doesn’t. Disgusting.

1. Gail K says:

Beautifully said.

2. Put your money where your mouth is says:

yeah, that’s how I felt when Bush ran against Gore. Let the majority rule. Sadly, your folks put the kaibosh on that sort of messy business. I guess, the repubs didn’t want to know the inconvenient truth, then, did they.

3. Get a Life says:

Miserable control freaks constantly sticking their noses into other peoples’ lives. Why are these people always portraying themselves as “Christians”? I don’t recall reading about Jesus encouraging anyone to try to control other people and dictate their lives. “Love thy neighbor” didn’t come with ANY conditions attached, either. These sad hypocrites need to tend to their own lives and let others live theirs.

4. Infodigger says:

I’m amazed at all of these African-American men protesting same-sex marriage. Not so long ago, in 1967, Loving v. Virginia was a landmark civil rights case before the United States Supreme Court. In a unanimous decision, it struck down laws against interracial marriage in the U.S. Why should it threaten anyone for two people who love each other to want to commit their lives to one another? Discrimination takes many forms.

5. Emma says:

Why is this topic such a deal? I know many same-sex couples in Toronto, the city where I live and I never had a single problem with those people. They live their lives as normally as most of us. They work, pay taxes, run errands, socialize, do their chores, etc. So what is the point of so much hatred and discrimination?