Jury: Deputy Not Liable In Taser Death Case

BALTIMORE (WJZ)—A young man shot with a Taser dies. The sheriff’s deputy who fired the weapon is sued for millions of dollars. Wednesday afternoon, a jury reached a verdict in the case being closely watched by the law enforcement community.

Adam May has emotional reaction to the verdict.

The jury only deliberated for a few hours, ruling in favor of the deputy.

Tears flow outside the federal courthouse after the family of Jarrel Gray loses their $145 million wrongful death lawsuit.

“Where can I go? My son’s not here,” said Gray’s mom, Tanya Thomas.

A jury cleared Frederick County Sheriff’s Deputy Rudy Torres of any wrongdoing.

Back in 2007, Torres responded to a fight in a Frederick neighborhood. He fired a Taser twice, killing the 20-year-old.

“I am relieved but I think we all need to remember at the end of the day this is a tragedy. No one wins and no one loses today,” Torres said.

“That man is free to go on and live his life the way he wants to, and I have to go to my son’s burial plot to visit him. I’d like to know how he sleeps at night with that?” Thomas said.

The decision outraged Gray’s parents who claimed their son was tased without being give a chance to comply with police.

“He’s not the first person to die, or the last person to die from a Taser.  So until they get this straight, you’re gonna see more families here,” Thomas said.

Her attorney agrees.

“I love this country, but sometimes this country breaks my heart,” said Gregory Lattimer, attorney.

But jurors say the evidence was clearly in favor of the deputy.

“It was not a malicious act by Cpl. Torres. He did not have any intent on harming, injuring or killing this young man,” said Monica O’Guinn, juror.

Torres says he thinks about the incident every day.

When asked what does it feel like to live with the outcome of the verdict, he responded, “I hope you never know. I hope you never know.”

Torres also said he still believes Tasers are good weapons for police.

Almost a dozen Marylanders have died in Taser-related incidents.

Comments

1. Sharon says:

Unless a person is under the influence of drug, I could understand a person being tased. But, to do it a second time when that person is already on the ground that to me is murder. Twice is totally unnecessary. Too LOL Larry, maybe you should be shocked with that much voltage twice and see if you survive. I think not….moron ! You have no compassion for human life.

1. Jerry says:

Would you want them to get a slap on the wrist?

2. Richard Washboard says:

Sharon, You have no clue. Wake Up

3. Will Keller says:

first off ma’am if the kid was NOT complying For all that Deputy knew the kid had a weapon tucked in his waistband. He didn’t know I’m sure the officer said “if you don’t put your arms out i will taze you again” He got warning. It’s a tragedy but none the less it was justified.

The cops name was Torres how is that a white cop? He may be but just by name he sounds like a minority too.

2. ROBERT says:

HERE’S A THOUGHT…DON’T BE A CRIMINAL OR TROUBLE MAKING IDIOT AND YOU WON’T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE TASER!! THEN AGAIN, WOULD YOU PREFER A BULLET IN THE HEAD?

1. Jerry says:

I agree with you 100%

3. mp says:

mom
    WHTE SHERIFF, WHITE JURY, BLACK ATTORNEY, BLACK FAMILY
    A JURY OF OUR PEERS…..LOL

4. Sharon says:

Regardless of the race or gender, cops are doing this all the time and they’re killing people. When you are physically electrocuting a person, one time should be enough if the person is on the ground and not trying to get up. Hopefully, it never happens to any one of you idiots !

1. Laurel says:

people are doing stupid things in order for law enforcement to do this kind of stuff….if he would of just stopped moving and OBEYING the police officer maybe he would be alive. what ever happpned to personal responsibility? Oh that’s right…we cannot control ourselves when the cops are telling us to do something…just imagine if he followed instructions maybe he would be alive today…145 million dollars please….

2. badmofo says:

Sharon, You’re typical of the entitlement mentality of blacks. The are literally given everything & not held accountable for anything. When they break or refuse to obey the law, they are cry babies & cry babies get smothered you dumb monkey.

5. silly rabbitt says:

how do you stop moving with electricity running through you body???

6. PawImart says: