Police Tighten Security In Roland Park After Armed Robbery At Restaurant; Residents On Alert

BALTIMORE (WJZ)— There’s a noticeable police presence in one of Baltimore’s quietest neighborhoods. Two women are attacked by a gunman outside a popular Roland Park restaurant. One is a prominent community activist.

Andrea Fujii has brand new information in the case.

This community does not see much crime. Now neighbors are shaken as a gunman remains on the loose.

An unfamiliar site outside one of Baltimore’s most popular upscale restaurants: A police officer stationed right in front.

Just 24 hours ago, two women were robbed at gunpoint as they were leaving the restaurant.

WJZ has learned one of the victims is community activist, 73-year-old Sally Michel.

She and a friend were getting in their car outside Petit Louis Tuesday night just before 8 p.m. when a man who claimed to have a gun, approached.

“I believe he said, ‘If you don’t want to get shot, give me your purse,'” Anthony Guglielmi, spokesman for the Baltimore City Police Department, said.

The robber leaned into the car and grabbed one of the purses.

One of the women refused to turn over her handbag– a move police say could have been dangerous.

“The suspect appeared to get spooked and he ran off. We do not urge people to confront suspects. Just do what they ask,” Guglielmi said.

Neither Michel nor the other victim were hurt. But neighbors are worried that the gunman is still on the loose.

“That’s actually kind of disturbing,” Roland Park resident Scott Miles said. “I actually live maybe six blocks down that way on Roland, and I usually don’t think twice about walking up here.”

Police have stepped up patrols throughout the community and a text message was sent to neighbors to warn them about the crime.

“It’s just disturbing news to hear. I haven’t heard too much of that around here,” another Roland Park resident Robin Jones said.

Police hope to stop the gunman from striking again.

Police do not have a detailed description of the gunman. They are now reviewing tape from surveillance cameras throughout this area.

Investigators warn anyone who sees anything suspicious in that area to call police right away.

Comments

1. John Russell says:

Have a great idea if the CROANIE OMALLY even gets close to passing his GESTAPO GAS TAX BILL of raisng GAS TAX and I beat the system always but obviously PA residents who flood into MARYLAND every day working here don;t worry cause they fill up in PA so we shall do the same and next step move out of MD permanently.

2. Chic says:

Can you say “selective policing”?……I wonder if the response would ever be the same if this incident occurred on the corner of 28th Street and Barclay??

1. Bel Air Commuter says:

GREAT observation…and I agree with you. So much worry & concern just cuz this happened so close to Roland Park? And, I do not understand how they can have NO description of this perp. The article said that he leaned into their car & demanded their purses–how can you not have a description when he was THAT close? Was he wearing a mask? Really? There is NO description at all? Hmmm.

3. Sylvan Finkelstein says:

I LIVE IN HAMDEN ,AND I WOULD BET A YEARS SALARY IF SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAP[PENED HERE ,THE IDIOTS IN NORTHERN WOULDN.T CARE AT ALL ,BUT BECAUSE ITS IN SNOBBY ROLAND PARK ALL THE COPS GET ON THE BAND WAGON

4. RustysChaos says:

OMG, an armed robbery in Baltimore City. That doesn’t happen often.

5. Bob Jenkins says:

“An unfamiliar *site* outside one of Baltimore’s most popular upscale restaurants..”
    What has happened to journalism? Can the “professionals” even spell correctly? And isn’t there some sort of editorial process?

1. Sar Casm says:

Maybe the location was unfamiliar and not the vision. Hah!

6. Brian C. Crea says:

That’s what they deserve for eating at a restaurant that serves Foie Gras

7. CS says:

I live in Medfield which is two minutes from this place and there was an armed robbery across the street from my house two weeks ago in which a person was held with a gun to his head. Did you hear about that on the news? Do I see more police in MY neighborhood?? NO! I guess MONEY TALKS!!