Man Killed In Baltimore Fire
Get Breaking News First
BALTIMORE (WJZ) — An elderly man pulled from a burning high-rise apartment building in Baltimore has died.
Fire officials say the blaze broke out Wednesday night on the 16th floor of a building in the 500-block of North Charles Street.
A man suffered second- and third-degree burns and was taken to the Johns Hopkins Bayview burn unit in serious condition. He later died of his injuries. The official cause of death has not been officially determined by the medical examiner.
Authorities say four other residents were evaluated for smoke inhalation.
The preliminary cause of the fire suggests cooking materials were involved. It’s believed the men went into the kitchen because his food in the microwave was burning. While wearing an oxygen mask, he opened the microwave door and officials say the flames exacerbated by oxygen stunned and overtook the man who fell to the floor as he suffered serious burns to his body.
In an effort to raise the public’s awareness about the dangers of home fires and how you can prevent them, Baltimore City firefighters will be in the Mount Vernon community on Saturday, Feb. 18, 2012 between the hours of 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. They will visit homes in the neighborhood to talk to residents, offer the installation of free smoke alarms and give fire safety tips.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)