Firefighters To Knock On Doors After Fatal CO Leak

OXON HILL, Md. (AP) — A day after five people died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in Oxon Hill, Prince George’s County firefighters will canvass the neighborhood to check for working smoke alarms and answer questions about the deadly gas.

Fire Chief Marc Bashoor will join firefighters going door-to-door in the Southlawn community of Oxon Hill. Firefighters will also knock on doors elsewhere in the county.

The department strongly recommends that residents install CO detectors in their home. There is no other way to detect the presence of the odorless, colorless gas.

A married couple, the woman’s sister and two renters were found dead Monday in the Oxon Hill home. Fire officials say CO levels were extraordinarily high and that a broken exhaust pipe on the house furnace might have been to blame.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Baltimore

Track Weather On The Go With Our App!
Your Podcast Network Play.it

Listen Live