BALTIMORE (WJZ) — It’s been a year since we first told you about the innocent 12-year-old who was watching TV on the front porch of a friend. Within seconds, four people were shot. The boy, Sean Johnson, later died. Now his family is looking for lessons learned.
Mike Schuh has the story.
Here, you should be able to sit on the front porch and not worry about being shot and killed. Apparently not on Cliftview Avenue in May of last year.
A 12-year-old football player should be able to see many more birthdays; Sean Johnson didn’t make it to 13.
After such a murder, you’d hope police would immediately make an arrest.
“Stop the violence. Shouldn’t no parent feel the pain I’m feeling right now,” said Sean Johnson’s mother.
“This case shook the city to its core,” said Anthony Guglielmi, Baltimore City police.
Then, 11 months after Sean’s death, three people were charged with his murder.
“Detectives identified suspects based on witness accounts. We have concerns for the safety of those witnesses at this point,” Guglielmi said.
While neighbors hoped a clear motive would emerge, police stood by earlier statements that it was all mistaken identity.
Time is said to heal wounds, but for family and friends Saturday, one year after Johnson was gunned down by mistake, healing has not come and such thoughts ring hollow.
“Just want things to be safe around here for the rest of the kids,” said Vonda Cole who attended the vigil. “I have a 13-year-old too, so I sympathize with her.”
The three men who were arrested last month are all charged with one count of murder and three counts of attempted murder.