Ravens OT Bryant McKinnie Restructures Contract
Sports Fan Insider
OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) — Baltimore Ravens offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie restructured his contract Tuesday to remain with the team.
At one point during negotiations, McKinnie walked away from the table and posted on Twitter that his time with the Ravens was over. His tweet shortly before noon read: “Decision is made! I’m gone!”
But the sides reconvened later, and the 6-foot-8, 360-pound left tackle begrudgingly reworked his contract rather than start to look for another job. He was supposed to receive a $3.2 million base salary in 2012, his second year with the Ravens.
“He’s been a part of us. He never left us,” coach John Harbaugh said late Tuesday afternoon. “I’m excited about Bryant, always have been, just like I told him. I have a lot of respect for him as a football player. I love his style of play. We’re going to be a strong offensive line and he’s a big part of it.”
Asked if the salary adjustment could be a distraction, Harbaugh said, “Really no concern about that. I don’t think it will be an issue at all. Guys are pros and guys understand the business aspect of all this stuff. He’s a great guy, he’s a hard worker and he’s a pro. He’s a Raven and I’m really happy about that. He seems happy about it, too.”
McKinnie signed with Baltimore during the offseason last year and started all 16 games. After reporting late to camp this summer because of a back injury, he played with the second-team offense for a few weeks before regaining the starting job on the left side of the line.
“Bryant’s a hardworking guy. That’s our expectation,” Harbaugh said. “Our expectation is that guys come out, practice hard and practice fast and give us their best. He’s always doing that. I think he continues to work his way back toward that Pro Bowl form. Both he and I agree that’s our goal for him. We talked about that as far as last winter.”
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)