PIKESVILLE, Md. (WJZ) — There’s new information about the elderly couple found murdered in their home. WJZ has  now learned one of the victims was a Maryland State Trooper for 30 years.

Rochelle Ritchie has more.

The 87-year-old man found dead inside his home joined law enforcement in 1976. The mystery surrounding his and his wife’s murder has yet to be solved.

WJZ has obtained an exclusive picture of happier times in the lives of Vaughn and Marjorie Pepper, found dead Monday inside their home on Olmstead Road.

“To hear of something of this magnitude is pretty tragic,” said one neighbor.

The Peppers were parishioners at Saint Charles Borromeo Catholic Church. Members there are still stunned by the news, relying their faith to pull them through.

“It just reminds me of the need to be strong and to give thanks to God for the gift of life and every precious day it can give us,” said Chris Welsh.

Late Monday afternoon, police were called to the quiet Sudbrook Park neighborhood.

A close friend got a phone call from a concerned out-of-state relative, asking if they would check on the elderly couple.

“That person then called us. We came to check out the house, looked in the window and saw the body of an adult male lying on the floor,” said Corporal John Wachter.

Pepper’s wife of 65 years, Marjorie, would be found dead a short time later in the basement.

The elderly couple lived in the home for two decades. Vaughn Pepper retired from law enforcement. He was a captain with the Maryland State Troopers for 30 years.

Baltimore County police have since turned their attention to finding the Pepper’s grandson, 31-year-old Matthew, who also lived at the home.

Police are not calling him a suspect.

“Obviously because he lived there, we are interested in talking to him but it’s preliminary to say whether he is a person of interest,” said Elise Armacost, Baltimore County Police spokesperson.

As this murder mystery continues to unfold, neighbors can only fight the tears when they think of the tragedy across the street.

“Every time I think about it and look over there, it’s a terrible thing to happen,” said a neighbor identified only as Robin.

Police did recover a weapon at the scene but are not saying what that weapon is.

The home did not have any signs of a break-in.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE