What To Do With CFL Bulbs

BALTIMORE (WJZ) –How do you properly dispose of CFL bulbs?

Bob Turk reports that the state of Maryland says CFL bulbs should be recycled.

You can drop then off at various household hazardous waste sites.

Stores like Home Depot and IKEA also accept the CFL bulbs for recycling.

More from Bob Turk
Comments

1. MD Resident says:

The best thing to do with CFL liight bulbs is to not buy them in the first place. I am certainly not wasting gas money or my time driving to various recycling locations.

2. ray says:

Why recycle they are supposed to last 7-10 years
    Which is a lie.
    For what you pay for them and as quick as they burn out they do not save money.

3. paula says:

Absolutely! These things burn out in MUCH less than 10 years; as often as Edison bulbs, I’d say.

Landfill or return for credit.

4. angie says:

i’ve been using CFL bulbs for years and never had a problem. All of my lamps still have the same bulbs i put in them 5 years ago, and still going strong. I bring my bulbs for recycling as well. A small step can go a long way.

5. Kurt says:

I hate those damned CFL bulbs. They give off poor light and are not worth the expense and trouble.

6. Matt says:

Never had to replace them. They are so cheap now, and I love the energy they save.

7. Mike says:

Throw them in the harbor with everything else

8. Kay says:

I throw them in the trash if they burn out just like I did with regular light bulbs. I’m not wasting time or money taking them elsewhere.

9. Dennis says:

I’ve replaced very few of the CFL bulbs used in my home. And regardless of the posts I see here I believe they do last much longer. I have one in my outside front porch light that I put in over 2 years ago which I leave on 24/7. I would like to see a better & longer list of places that would accept old ones for recycling. And to those who wouldn’t take the time to recycle them I say just keep buying the incandescent bulbs. You;ll be happier and so will we.

10. Roxane Whetzler Casto says:

I don’t think I have purchased one that even lasted as long as regular light bulbs. They are a big waste of money.

11. ras says:

I haven’t had to replace any of mine yet either. I even use them outside in my barn and they are just as bright as the incandescent. I also put them in my porch lights and they are great.

12. gman says:

with the gas prices steadily going up will the state and/or federal government give us some kind of tax break to drive and drop these bulbs off at home depot, etc.!!!!!!!!!

1. jim says:

A tax break here in maryland. Don,t say that to loud he will start chargeing us A FEE for useing them!!!!!!