PASADENA, Md. (WJZ) — A funeral and public tribute were held Saturday for an Anne Arundel County teen killed in a hit-and-run accident. Skylar Marion was laid to rest at his church on Mountain Road.

Tim Williams reports the search for the driver continues.

It was a tragic and an unthinkable accident, a life taken far too soon. A memorial now stands at the intersection in Pasadena where 15-year-old Skylar Marion suffered injuries in a hit-and-run accident more than a week ago. He died three days later.

The driver remains unidentified.

“I’m raising three kids by myself. Now I only got two left because of this coward,” said Skylar’s father, Mike Marion.

A standing room only crowd filled the funeral service at Lake Shore Baptist Church.

The accident happened a short distance away. Skylar and a friend were hit while walking to the corner store. Police say they had their backs to traffic as they traveled the narrow shoulder.

Reports identify the vehicle as a 1997 to 2002 Ford Expedition, which could have damage to the hood, passenger side headlight and front quarter panel.

“The child was walking on the grass. It’s the person who swerved off the road and hit a child and then left–that’s what we need to focus on,” said Dawn Caley.

Skylar was a student at Chesapeake High School and becomes an unfortunate statistic. More than a dozen people have been killed in accidents on Mountain Road since 2000, prompting calls for safer walkways.

Skylar’s family chose to donate his organs so other lives may be saved.

“It’d be a lot safer places around the world if people would turn around and just care a little bit,” said Mike Marion.

On this day, Skylar’s family and friends are trying to cope with their loss and a business owner is offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to an arrest.

“We’re hoping that it will give some incentive for someone to come forward with information to help the police find whoever’s responsible,” said Christina Mitchell, North County Recovery.

The 13-year-old female victim is still recovering. She was treated at Johns Hopkins Hospital and later released.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE