Towson Teacher Still Hospitalized After Boston Marathon Bombing

View Comments
Erika Brannock
McCorkel Meghan 370x278 (2) Meghan McCorkell
Meghan McCorkell joined the Eyewitness News team in July 2011 as a...
Read More
Popular Entertainment Photo Galleries

POEts: The Legendary, The Celebrity, The Local, The ControversialPOEts: The Legendary, The Celebrity, The Local, The Controversial

Celebrities Born Outside The U.S.Celebrities Born Outside The U.S.

Top Celebrities On TwitterTop Celebrities On Twitter

Ranking Stephen KingRanking Stephen King

Famous Women Who Underwent Double MastectomiesFamous Women Who Underwent Double Mastectomies

» More Photo Galleries

TOWSON, Md. (WJZ) — Road to recovery. Two sisters, both Maryland natives were severely injured in the Boston bombings. Now one of them has been released from the hospital.

Meghan McCorkell has an update.

Nicole Gross was released from a Boston hospital this weekend. Her sister, Erika Brannock, is still there recovering. They were in town to watch their mother run the Boston Marathon but Gross and Brannock were both severely injured when an explosive went off right near the finish line. Brannock lost part of her leg. Her sister broke both legs and tore her Achilles tendon. Now, more than a month after the bombings, Gross has been released from the hospital.

“I think it’s just taking it one day at a time, one step at a time and I’ll get there quick. I’ve been fortunate to have a good recovery so far,” Gross said.

Gross, who lives with her husband in North Carolina, says her family is pulling together.

“To go through something like this has changed our relationship for the better for the rest of our lives,” Gross said.

Her sister remains hospitalized in the first phase of recovery. Brannock was a preschool teacher at Trinity Episcopal Children’s Center. Since the bombing, the entire community has come together to support her.

“She misses being home. I know that she’s being amazingly strong right now and luckily has the support of her family and friends,” said Brannock’s roommate, Erica Leonard.

Several fundraisers have been held for Brannock, including a raffle at Mothers in Federal Hill.

Family members look forward to her homecoming.

“It could be a month, two months, but we’re hoping that she’ll be here as soon as she can get to rehab,” said her cousin, Tuna Shubert.

Until then, loved ones are helping the sisters any way they can. Family members say she is in good spirits and just focused on getting better.

A donation fund has been set up to help with Brannock’s medical expenses. For more information, click here.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus