ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — The Anne Arundel County Department of Health is issuing an alert after a rabid bat was found at an Annapolis apartment building.
The bat found at Woodside Garden Apartments on Thursday tested positive for the deadly disease.
The Health Department warns people not to touch bats that appear sick or injured or display unusual behavior, such as being active in the day or unafraid of humans.
Infected animals can spread the disease to humans and pets through a scratch or bite or if infected saliva touches eyes, nose, mouth or broken skin.
Not all bats carry rabies, but anyone who has had contact with a bat or has seen a bat in a room with a sleeping person or unattended child should call the health department.
(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)