Over a third of the season is gone. It’s been mostly tight around the league so far. Lots of parity in the game right now. Here we go!
Top 6 –
1. Cardinals – the majors only 40-win team is rolling right along with the best pitching staff in baseball.
2. Braves – won seven of their last 10 to put some serious distance between themselves and the second-place Nationals.
3. Red Sox – also have won seven of their last 10, but the AL East remains baseball’s tightest division
4. Athletics – trailed by as many as seven games this season, but have cut the Rangers lead down to a half-game
5. Yankees – Granderson and Teixeira are back. They could start scoring a lot more runs.
6. Rangers – 10 games over .500 at home. Just two games over on the road. Wait until August to see if that’s the same.
4 stats –
1. The ageless wonder Mariano Rivera, 43, leads baseball with 23 saves. Yes, he could pitch for another three years at this level.
2. Matt Harvey is still undefeated at 5-0. He leads the majors with eight no-decisions. The Mets are just 3-5 in those games.
3. Of the 16 players batting over .300 in the AL, only the Orioles (Davis, Machado, Jones) and Tigers (Cabrera, Peralta, Hunter) have three people in that top 16.
4. Just three players have an OPS over 1.000 right now – Miguel Cabrera, Chris Davis and Troy Tulowitzki.
Bottom 3 –
1. Marlins – the wish they could play the Mets all year long. Eight of their 18 wins are against them!
2. Astros – their -98 run differential is the biggest in the game.
3. Mets – see two lines up for the reason they are on this list.
Follow me on Twitter @MarkZinno.