We are hitting our stride as the summer begins to heat up. The standings are also beginning to shake up around Major League Baseball. It’s a great time to be a baseball fan. Let’s do this!
1. Cardinals – how long will they own this spot? Probably a while. Only team with a +100-run differential at +102. next closest team, the Tigers is +85.
2. Athletics – back in late May, they were 7 games out of first place. They now own a 3-game lead in the AL West!
3. Red Sox – the Orioles closed the gap on this team by taking 3 out of 4. They won’t be in first place long.
4. Reds – Dusty Baker continues to be one of the most underrated managers in the game. He never panics.
5. Braves – as the Nats continue to struggle, the Braves continue to coast. And build a bigger lead the NL East.
6. Orioles – 5-2 on their last home-stand against the Angels and Red Sox. Never count out the Birds line-up. They will beat you.
1. Since bowing 3 straight saves and 4 out of 5, Jim Johnson has rewarded his manager’s faith in him. 10.1 IP, 5H, 1ER, 7K and 10 consecutive saves.
2. Matt Harvey took his first loss this season. His line in that loss, 7IP, 5H, 1R, 7K. It has to be tough being a Met.
3. Quirky stat: the top 11 batting averages in the AL all belong to infielders/catchers. Five 3B, Two C, two 2B, one SS and one 1B.
4. Justin Upton’s torrid start has slowed considerably. In April, he hit .298 with 12 HRs and 19 RBIs. Since May 1, he is .214/3 HR/13 RBI.
1. Marlins – they are well on their way to 100 losses. And we thought the Astros were going to be bad.
2. Mets – when you are celebrating walk-off wins over the Cubs like it’s Game 7 of the World Series, you’ve got problems.
3. Astros – Hey! They have won 4 in a row!! At this rate, they may not end up being the worst team in the AL!
Follow me on Twitter @MarkZinno