Dispute Delays Naval Academy Sex Assault Case

WASHINGTON (AP) — A hearing on whether three U.S. Naval Academy midshipmen should be court-martialed on sexual assault accusations is being delayed by a dispute over the accuser’s medical records.

Attorneys for the three former football players charged in the case said Wednesday that the woman’s medical records should be part of the Article 32 hearing. They obtained some records earlier in the day and asked for the hearing to continue.

But the woman’s attorney, Susan Burke, says the records date to before the alleged incident last year and should not be admissible.

Cmdr. Robert Monahan, the investigating officer in the case, says he will review the request by the defense attorneys with the academy’s superintendent, who forwarded charges to him.

The hearing is scheduled to resume Wednesday afternoon.

(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Baltimore

Track Weather On The Go With Our App!
Your Podcast Network Play.it

Listen Live