Reporting Christie Ileto
BALTIMORE (WJZ) — It’s a musical portrait of iconic singer Barbra Streisand’s Broadway years and it’s coming to a Baltimore stage.
Christie Ileto reports the popular tunes will be sung by one of Streisand’s mentees.
If you know Barbra Streisand’s big hits like “I’ve Dreamed of You or “At the Same Time,” then you know Ann Hampton Callaway. She’s written both songs for the platinum award-winning mentor of hers!
“I put my own stamp on these songs, so it’s not just cover songs that Barbra sang, but fresh new ways of enjoying these wonderful songs,” Callaway said.
The Tony-nominated actress warms up with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra for this weekend’s concert, The Streisand Songbook.
“They should expect beautiful fun music that will bring back a lot of great memories,” Callaway said.
And if you think you haven’t heard Callaway sing before, chances are you have. She’s the voice on the theme song for the hit TV show, “The Nanny.”
Throughout her performances at the Meyeroff, Callaway will also share stories on how Streisand became her mentor. Callaway says Streisand did thank her for putting this musical selection of her work together.
Shows start Thursday, Oct. 10 at 8 p.m. at the Music Center at Strathmore in Kensington, and continue at the Meyerhoff Friday to Sunday. For showtimes, click here.
Other Local News:
- Fire Kills Animals On Layaway For Christmas At Md. Pet Shop
- New Documents Reveal Government Storing Personal Info From Cell Phones
- Local Leaders React To Death Of Former South African President Nelson Mandela
- Washington Monument To Light Up Baltimore’s Holiday Season
- Family Of City Worker Killed Outside City Hall To Meet With State’s Attorney