Andrews Air Show Canceled For Second Consecutive Year

MORNINGSIDE, Md. (AP) — Officials at Joint Base Andrews near Washington say Defense Department budget cuts are prompting cancellation of a popular air show for the second consecutive year.

The base commander, Air Force Col. Bill Knight, said Thursday that the event was planned for May. He says no decisions have been made about future air shows.

Officials announced last year they were turning the free air show into a biennial event to save money. They say it costs about $2 million to produce the show.

The Air Force says about 200,000 people attended the last Andrews air show in 2012.

Knight says community outreach is important to the base. He says officials are looking at other types of outreach efforts.

(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

blog comments powered by Disqus
Track Weather On The Go With Our App!

Listen Live