WASHINGTON (AP) — The National Zoo says a zebra bit a keeper and a nearby gazelle possibly spooked by the incident has been found dead.
Spokeswoman Annalisa Meyer says the keeper was bitten multiple times while in the enclosure with the animal. Meyer says the keeper was bleeding, but conscious and talking when he was taken to the hospital.
The zoo says a 1-year-old gazelle was likely spooked by the incident, ran into a barrier and died. Meyer says a necropsy found evidence of fractured vertebrae.
Meyer says it’s not usual protocol for a keeper to be inside the enclosure with the zebras, so zoo officials are investigating what happened. It’s not clear how severe the keeper’s injuries are.
The zoo has three male zebras. The zebra involved is fine.
(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Other Local News:
- Hurricane Maria Now Cat. 1, Tropical Storm Warnings Issued For NC Coast
- NFL Players Protest National Anthem During Sunday Games Following President’s Comments
- Lewis Scores 3 TDs As Jaguars Beat Ravens In London 44-7
- Police Arrest Suspect After Man Dies From Brutal Beating Earlier This Month
- Police Investigating After 4 People Shot In Brooklyn Park