National Zoo: Zebra Bites Keeper, Spooked Gazelle Dies
Get Breaking News First
WASHINGTON (AP) — The National Zoo says a zebra bit a keeper and a nearby gazelle possibly spooked by the incident has been found dead.
Spokeswoman Annalisa Meyer says the keeper was bitten multiple times while in the enclosure with the animal. Meyer says the keeper was bleeding, but conscious and talking when he was taken to the hospital.
The zoo says a 1-year-old gazelle was likely spooked by the incident, ran into a barrier and died. Meyer says a necropsy found evidence of fractured vertebrae.
Meyer says it’s not usual protocol for a keeper to be inside the enclosure with the zebras, so zoo officials are investigating what happened. It’s not clear how severe the keeper’s injuries are.
The zoo has three male zebras. The zebra involved is fine.
(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Other Local News:
- Police Issue Arrest Warrent For Father In Missing Girl Case In Connection With Mother’s Death
- Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Parts Of Southern Md.
- Gas Explosion Blamed In Fire & Building Collapse That Killed 8-Year-Old Boy; 911 Calls Released
- Many Come To Cummings’ Defense After He Was Silenced At A Committee Hearing
- McDaniel College Probes ‘CMT Versus BET’ Event