WASHINGTON (AP) — The National Zoo says a zebra bit a keeper and a nearby gazelle possibly spooked by the incident has been found dead.
Spokeswoman Annalisa Meyer says the keeper was bitten multiple times while in the enclosure with the animal. Meyer says the keeper was bleeding, but conscious and talking when he was taken to the hospital.
The zoo says a 1-year-old gazelle was likely spooked by the incident, ran into a barrier and died. Meyer says a necropsy found evidence of fractured vertebrae.
Meyer says it’s not usual protocol for a keeper to be inside the enclosure with the zebras, so zoo officials are investigating what happened. It’s not clear how severe the keeper’s injuries are.
The zoo has three male zebras. The zebra involved is fine.
(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Other Local News:
- Maryland Senators Argue Over Skipping Budget Breakfast
- Health Coalition Pushes Ban On Brand-Name Drug Price Gouging
- Dog Abandoned With Sign: ‘My Name Is Duke. Here’s My Favorite Toy And My Food’
- Maryland Mother Accused Of Mailing Drugs To Her Inmate Son
- Police ID Man Accused Of Setting Up Camera In Mall Bathroom