BELTSVILLE, Md. (AP) — An apartment fire in Beltsville has forced at least 24 people out of their homes over the holiday weekend.

Prince George’s County firefighters were called to the fire Saturday on Cherry Hill Road in Beltsville. Fire officials say the blaze started after a lamp in one apartment tipped over and sparked a fire.

No injuries were reported.

The two-alarm fire spread to six different apartment units. Some residents say they did not hear any fire alarms or smell smoke.

Firefighters were on the scene quickly, but they did not realize at first that the flames were spreading through the walls. Fire Chief Marc Bashoor says the flames came down on top of firefighters inside.

(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

More From CBS Baltimore

Track Weather On The Go With Our App!
CBS All Access

Watch & Listen LIVE