BELTSVILLE, Md. (AP) — An apartment fire in Beltsville has forced at least 24 people out of their homes over the holiday weekend.
Prince George’s County firefighters were called to the fire Saturday on Cherry Hill Road in Beltsville. Fire officials say the blaze started after a lamp in one apartment tipped over and sparked a fire.
No injuries were reported.
The two-alarm fire spread to six different apartment units. Some residents say they did not hear any fire alarms or smell smoke.
Firefighters were on the scene quickly, but they did not realize at first that the flames were spreading through the walls. Fire Chief Marc Bashoor says the flames came down on top of firefighters inside.
(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)