OCEAN CITY, Md. (AP) — Ocean City officials say a church fire that killed the pastor was caused by a man who put gasoline on himself, set himself on fire and ran into the church ablaze.
The Ocean City Fire Marshal’s Office said Tuesday that an investigation showed John Sterner, 56, purchased gasoline shortly before the Nov. 26 fire. Authorities say Sterner then ran into St. Paul’s By-The-Sea Episcopal Church, and the fire to spread from him to the structure.
Sterner and the church’s pastor, the Rev. David Dingwall, were killed in the fire. A woman who police did not identify was injured and remains at the Johns Hopkins Burn Center in Baltimore.
The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner has ruled Dingwall’s death a homicide and Sterner’s death a suicide.
(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Other Local News:
- Federal Judge In MD To Rule Later On Latest Trump Travel Ban
- Maryland AG Among 15 Opposing Trump’s Transgender Military Ban
- Baltimore Breaks Up, Removes ‘Fatberg’ That Contributed To Million-Gallon Sewage Spill
- One Person Critically Injured In Baltimore County Apartment Fire
- MD 140 Near Baltimore, Carroll County Line Closed After Crash