BALTIMORE (WJZ)—The FBI has arrested another Baltimore corrections officer linked to the jail smuggling scandal– but they had to wait until he returned from Afghanistan.
The U.S. Attorney’s Office says Derrick Jones, 41, was arrested in Waco, Texas.
According to WJZ’s media partner, The Baltimore Sun, Jones was charged last month after he’d already deployed with the Maryland National Guard.
He’s accused of smuggling phones and other contraband into the jail for the Black Guerrilla Family gang members, who were serving time at the Baltimore City Detention Center.
Jones is now in the custody of U.S. Marshals, who will bring him back to Baltimore to face trial.
Other Local News:
- Port of Baltimore 1 of 3 On East Coast That Can Handle New ‘Mega Ships’
- Pat Summitt’s Death After Battle With Dementia Hits Close To Home
- Black Lives Matter Activist, Former Mayoral Candidate DeRay Mckesson Named To Baltimore City Schools Cabinet
- Under Armour Opens ‘Lighthouse’ Innovation Center In Baltimore
- 3 Injured In South Baltimore Shooting