BALTIMORE (WJZ)—The FBI has arrested another Baltimore corrections officer linked to the jail smuggling scandal– but they had to wait until he returned from Afghanistan.
The U.S. Attorney’s Office says Derrick Jones, 41, was arrested in Waco, Texas.
According to WJZ’s media partner, The Baltimore Sun, Jones was charged last month after he’d already deployed with the Maryland National Guard.
He’s accused of smuggling phones and other contraband into the jail for the Black Guerrilla Family gang members, who were serving time at the Baltimore City Detention Center.
Jones is now in the custody of U.S. Marshals, who will bring him back to Baltimore to face trial.
Other Local News:
- Female Officer Killed In Baltimore County; Manhunt Underway
- Md. Firefighters Battling PTSD Have First-Of-Its-Kind Center To Cope
- Law Enforcement Across Maryland Offer Support After Baltimore Co. Officer Killed
- 10 Officers Killed On Duty In Baltimore County Since 1932
- Federal Jury Convicts Accused ‘Winter Hat’ Bank Robber