BALTIMORE (WJZ)—The FBI has arrested another Baltimore corrections officer linked to the jail smuggling scandal– but they had to wait until he returned from Afghanistan.
The U.S. Attorney’s Office says Derrick Jones, 41, was arrested in Waco, Texas.
According to WJZ’s media partner, The Baltimore Sun, Jones was charged last month after he’d already deployed with the Maryland National Guard.
He’s accused of smuggling phones and other contraband into the jail for the Black Guerrilla Family gang members, who were serving time at the Baltimore City Detention Center.
Jones is now in the custody of U.S. Marshals, who will bring him back to Baltimore to face trial.
Other Local News:
- Egg Game Brings Md. School Jimmy Fallon Shoutout, $13K Donation
- Sun Investigation: Baltimore PD Set To Exceed Overtime Budget By $30 Million
- Trump Awards Purple Heart At Walter Reed Military Hospital
- Medical Professionals Honored at 28th Annual Shock Trauma Gala
- Police: Maryland Officer Shoots Woman Riding in Stolen Car