BALTIMORE (WJZ)—The FBI has arrested another Baltimore corrections officer linked to the jail smuggling scandal– but they had to wait until he returned from Afghanistan.
The U.S. Attorney’s Office says Derrick Jones, 41, was arrested in Waco, Texas.
According to WJZ’s media partner, The Baltimore Sun, Jones was charged last month after he’d already deployed with the Maryland National Guard.
He’s accused of smuggling phones and other contraband into the jail for the Black Guerrilla Family gang members, who were serving time at the Baltimore City Detention Center.
Jones is now in the custody of U.S. Marshals, who will bring him back to Baltimore to face trial.
Other Local News:
- 90-Year-Old Baltimore Woman Critical After Home Invasion
- Baltimore Primary Ballots Still Being Counted, Pugh and Dixon Separated By Just a Few Thousand Votes
- Report: Prince Tried to Meet With Doctor Before His Death
- Towson Univ. Police ID Suspect Wanted In Peeping Tom Incident
- New Study: Medical Errors Are 3rd Leading Cause For Death In US