Shoplifter At Weis Market Disarms Security Guard, Fires Shots & Flees With Weapon
Get Breaking News First
LAUREL, Md. (WJZ)—A suspected shoplifter in a Laurel supermarket disarmed a security guard, fired shots and then fled with the weapon. He remains at large.
Officers responded to the Weis Market in the 3300-block of Corridor Market Place on Sunday just after 8 p.m. for a report of shoplifting and shots fired.
Upon arrival, a security guard who works for the store and is licensed to carry a firearm, told officers he approached a shoplifter in the store and attempted to take him into custody. During a struggle, the suspect was able to gain control of the security guard’s semi-automatic handgun.
The suspect fired several shots in the store during the struggle and then fled on foot with the weapon.
There were no injuries.
Numerous officers canvassed the area, but were unable to locate the suspect, who is described as a black male, approximately 5’10”, 140 pounds with dark hair, wearing a red shirt, dark pants and a jacket.
Other Local News:
- Maryland At High Risk As Sea Levels Continue To Rise
- Residents Urged To Shelter In Place As Police Investigate Suspicious Activity In Parkville
- Police Building Homicide Case Against Schizophrenic Mother
- Baltimore Police Investigating $35M Brutality Lawsuit After Video Surfaces
- Eastern Shore Teen Missing For Nearly 3 Weeks After Walking Off Youth Facility