LAUREL, Md. (WJZ)—A suspected shoplifter in a Laurel supermarket disarmed a security guard, fired shots and then fled with the weapon. He remains at large.
Officers responded to the Weis Market in the 3300-block of Corridor Market Place on Sunday just after 8 p.m. for a report of shoplifting and shots fired.
Upon arrival, a security guard who works for the store and is licensed to carry a firearm, told officers he approached a shoplifter in the store and attempted to take him into custody. During a struggle, the suspect was able to gain control of the security guard’s semi-automatic handgun.
The suspect fired several shots in the store during the struggle and then fled on foot with the weapon.
There were no injuries.
Numerous officers canvassed the area, but were unable to locate the suspect, who is described as a black male, approximately 5’10”, 140 pounds with dark hair, wearing a red shirt, dark pants and a jacket.
Other Local News:
- Howard County Council To Consider Sanctuary Bill
- Baltimore Real-Estate Developer Reed Cordish To Join Trump Administration
- George Beall, Md. U.S. attorney Who Prosecuted Agnew, Dies
- DC Firefighters Resuscitate Dog Caught In House Fire (VIDEO)
- 2 Troopers, Officer Injured After Vehicle Struck While Helping Stranded Driver