Mall Fire Blamed On Grease Buildup In Ductwork

ROCKVILLE, Md. (AP) — A fire at a restaurant at the Westfield Wheaton mall is being blamed on a buildup of grease and other substances in ductwork over the cooking area.

The Montgomery County mall was evacuated on Saturday after the fire at the Crisp & Juicy Peruvian rotisserie chicken restaurant.

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue assistant chief Scott Graham tells radio station WTOP-FM that the fire did about $180,000 in damage and that a firefighter suffered minor injuries battling the blaze.

The fire began around 11:15 a.m. Saturday. The mall reopened shortly after 2:30 p.m.

(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Baltimore

Track Weather On The Go With Our App!
Your Podcast Network

Listen Live