Female Chimpanzee At Maryland Zoo Dies
Get Breaking News First
BALTIMORE (AP) — Officials at The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore say a 21-year-old female chimpanzee has been found dead in her quarters.
Zookeepers say the chimp, named Renee, had undergone a bi-annual physical exam Tuesday and was recovering. No serious health issues were found during the exam.
Zoo veterinarians will perform a necropsy, but findings are not expected to be available for several weeks.
Officials say Renee was brought to the zoo in 1995 from the Yerkes Primate Center in Atlanta. She was part of the first troop to move into the then-new chimpanzee forest.
The zoo now has a troop of 10 chimpanzees.
(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Other Local News:
- Towson Teacher Injured In Boston Marathon Returns One Year After Bombings
- Ex-Honors Student From Md. Sentenced To 5 Years In Jihadist Terror Plot
- 72-Year-Old Man Dead, Another Injured In Salisbury Home Invasion
- Charm City Cakes Featured In Katy Perry’s ‘Birthday’ Video
- Former Owner Of Ostrowski’s Famous Polish Sausage Dies At 72