Female Chimpanzee At Maryland Zoo Dies
Get Breaking News First
BALTIMORE (AP) — Officials at The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore say a 21-year-old female chimpanzee has been found dead in her quarters.
Zookeepers say the chimp, named Renee, had undergone a bi-annual physical exam Tuesday and was recovering. No serious health issues were found during the exam.
Zoo veterinarians will perform a necropsy, but findings are not expected to be available for several weeks.
Officials say Renee was brought to the zoo in 1995 from the Yerkes Primate Center in Atlanta. She was part of the first troop to move into the then-new chimpanzee forest.
The zoo now has a troop of 10 chimpanzees.
(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Other Local News:
- Missing 12-Year-Old Girl, 1-Year-Old Nephew Returned Home Safely
- Baltimore Leaders Fight City’s Criminal Reputation In Pop Culture
- Morgan Officials Release More Information In Student’s Death
- 18-Year-Old Drowns In Ocean City After Being Caught In Rip Current
- Excitement Continues As Horseshoe Casino Opens For Its First Full Day