Female Chimpanzee At Maryland Zoo Dies
BALTIMORE (AP) — Officials at The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore say a 21-year-old female chimpanzee has been found dead in her quarters.
Zookeepers say the chimp, named Renee, had undergone a bi-annual physical exam Tuesday and was recovering. No serious health issues were found during the exam.
Zoo veterinarians will perform a necropsy, but findings are not expected to be available for several weeks.
Officials say Renee was brought to the zoo in 1995 from the Yerkes Primate Center in Atlanta. She was part of the first troop to move into the then-new chimpanzee forest.
The zoo now has a troop of 10 chimpanzees.
(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Other Local News:
- As Freddie Gray Trial Looms, Officials Work To Prevent Another Riot
- Son Accused Of Killing Father In Catonsville Is Being Held Without Bail
- NASA: Rising Sea Levels, Shrinking Ice Has Big Impact On Md.
- Pet Coyote Euthanized In Calvert County
- A Misuse Of Household Cleaners Causes Evacuation In Cockeysville