BALTIMORE (AP) — Officials at The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore say a 21-year-old female chimpanzee has been found dead in her quarters.
Zookeepers say the chimp, named Renee, had undergone a bi-annual physical exam Tuesday and was recovering. No serious health issues were found during the exam.
Zoo veterinarians will perform a necropsy, but findings are not expected to be available for several weeks.
Officials say Renee was brought to the zoo in 1995 from the Yerkes Primate Center in Atlanta. She was part of the first troop to move into the then-new chimpanzee forest.
The zoo now has a troop of 10 chimpanzees.
(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Other Local News:
- Man Charged In Recent Annapolis Murder Now Charged In Similar 4-Year-Old Case
- Gov. Hogan Expected To Mandate Md. School Year Begin After Labor Day
- Police: Months After Barricade With Deputies, Baltimore County Cop Found Dead In Home
- Military Helicopter Makes Emergency Landing at Md. School
- Playing With Sports Concussion Doubles Recovery Time: Study