COCKEYSVILLE, Md. (WJZ) — A domestic dispute in Cockeysville ends with a man shot by a Baltimore County police officer. That man and the officer remain in the hospital.

Monique Griego has more on what led up to the shooting.

Police say the suspect got into a fight with his elderly parents, then attacked the officer who tried to break it up.

A Cockeysville apartment complex was swarmed by Baltimore County Police moments after an officer shoots a 37-year-old man inside Building 308.

“Well, I’m a little freaked out,” said Jackie Ruckman, neighbor. “A bunch of cop cars and crime scene tape. It doesn’t look good.”

Police were called to the Hunt Club Apartments on Wellingborough Way for an unknown trouble. Officers say, when they arrived, they found the suspect and his 72-year-old stepfather engaged in a physical fight.

“Our officer attempted to subdue the son, the son resisted. It was a physical struggle,” said Elise Armacost, Baltimore County Police.

Police say at some point during the fight, the officer retreated from the second floor apartment and went down to the first floor. That’s when the suspect followed him and physically attacked the officer again.

“He assaulted our officer a second time. At this point, the officer, in fear for his life, discharged several rounds from his service weapon,” Armacost said.

The suspect, who hasn’t been identified, was taken to Shock Trauma. Police tell WJZ he may suffer from some sort of emotional or mental issues.

In addition to his stepfather, police say the man also attacked his elderly mother.

“This is a domestic, internal kind of thing. It’s not a bad neighborhood kind of issue. And those things happen,” said Al Lutman, neighbor.

Both parents and the officer were also taken to the hospital with injuries from the fight.

Neighbors are still in shock this happened right next door.

“I’ve been here for nine years and I’ve never heard anything like this. Now I’m afraid. I have kids,” said Blanca Martinez, neighbor.

Police say while the suspect physically attacked the officer, he did not have a weapon. He remains in the hospital, but his exact condition is unknown.

The officer will be placed on routine administrative leave, pending the investigation into his use of deadly force.

Other Local News:


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE