BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Baltimore City Police arrest one man believed to be behind several armed robbery incidents following an officer-involved shooting.
Christie Ileto explains.
Flashing lights and yellow tape on Monument Street Monday mark the spot where Baltimore City police captured an armed suspect following an officer-involved shooting just blocks away on Chase Street.
“The officers did everything they could to bring this to a peaceful end,” said Jerry Rodriguez, Baltimore City Police.
Police brass say when officers spotted a man in a black Toyota matching the suspect and vehicle description involved in multiple armed robberies, they attempted to pull him over. Police believe he’s behind at least four armed robbery incidents in East Baltimore.
Refusing to stop, police say the suspect led officers to a dead-end street. The suspect threw something out of the car but refused to step out of the vehicle.
“The suspect was determined to flee the officers,” Rodriguez said.
Police say he drove at officers, who then opened fire before managing to drive injured a couple blocks where he was arrested.
Residents are unsettled by the crime steps from their front doors.
“It’s upsetting, it’s distressing and I’m angry,” said one resident.
Police were able to recover a loaded gun and some stolen items at the crime scene. The suspect is at an area hospital.
Other Local News:
- Baltimore Detective Was Shot With His Own Gun, Scheduled To Testify Against Indicted Cops
- Brick-And-Mortar Stores Attempt To Entice Customers Amid Cyber Deals
- Hearing Dropped For Last Cop Facing Administrative Discipline In Freddie Gray Case
- Police Searching For Missing 9-Year-Old Boy
- Baltimore And The Police Department Sued For Civil Rights Violations Of 15 People