JESSUP, Md. (WJZ)—Police are investigating a three-vehicle chain reaction crash that killed a woman early Wednesday morning.
It happened around 6:40 a.m. when a 2010 Freightliner box truck was traveling northbound on US Rt. 1 just south of Kit Kat Road. The driver struck the back of a 2000 Volkswagen Jetta that was stopped in the through traffic lane preparing to make a left turn into the US 1 Center Shopping Center. The Volkswagen was then pushed into a 2006 Chrysler 300 that was also stopped in traffic in front of it.
The driver of the Volkswagen, 39-year-old Rafaella Bonita Griffin of Baltimore, was transported to Shock Trauma where she later died.
The uninjured box truck driver has been identified as William Franklin Russell III, 56, of Elkridge. He was transporting equipment for the Synergy Health Company located in Elkridge.
The uninjured driver of the Chrysler has been identified as Michael Jerome Thompson, 40, of Clinton.
Investigators are trying to determine why Griffin and Thompson were attempting to make a left turn into the shopping center using the through lane of northbound Rt. 1 instead of the designated left turn lane.
Investigators do not believe weather played a role in the crash.
US Rt. 1 was closed to through traffic in the area until 9:15 a.m.
Other Local News:
- Md. Football Player Paralyzed From Shooting Passes Away
- Md. Schools On Edge In Wake Of Deadly Florida School Shooting
- Daughter Of Legendary Jazz Musician Educating Baltimore Youth For More Than 50 Years
- Group Is Trying To Get Surveillance Plane Flying Again
- Gov. Hogan Gives Update On 2018 Legislative Session At The Halfway Point