Woman Killed in Chain Reaction Crash On Route 1 In Jessup
Get Breaking News First
JESSUP, Md. (WJZ)—Police are investigating a three-vehicle chain reaction crash that killed a woman early Wednesday morning.
It happened around 6:40 a.m. when a 2010 Freightliner box truck was traveling northbound on US Rt. 1 just south of Kit Kat Road. The driver struck the back of a 2000 Volkswagen Jetta that was stopped in the through traffic lane preparing to make a left turn into the US 1 Center Shopping Center. The Volkswagen was then pushed into a 2006 Chrysler 300 that was also stopped in traffic in front of it.
The driver of the Volkswagen, 39-year-old Rafaella Bonita Griffin of Baltimore, was transported to Shock Trauma where she later died.
The uninjured box truck driver has been identified as William Franklin Russell III, 56, of Elkridge. He was transporting equipment for the Synergy Health Company located in Elkridge.
The uninjured driver of the Chrysler has been identified as Michael Jerome Thompson, 40, of Clinton.
Investigators are trying to determine why Griffin and Thompson were attempting to make a left turn into the shopping center using the through lane of northbound Rt. 1 instead of the designated left turn lane.
Investigators do not believe weather played a role in the crash.
US Rt. 1 was closed to through traffic in the area until 9:15 a.m.
Other Local News:
- 1st Human Trials With Ebola Vaccine To Begin Next Week In Maryland
- Wife Of Md. Congressman Andy Harris Dies Unexpectedly
- NFL To Crack Down On Domestic Violence Amid Criticism Of Ray Rice Punishment
- Ex-Baltimore Cop Convicted In Mistress’ Murder Granted Retrial 20 Years Later
- Gun Debate Grows After 9-Year-Old Accidentally Kills Shooting Instructor