BALTIMORE (WJZ)–The Sun Products Corporation, which manufactures and markets laundry and household care products, will close its plant on Holabird Avenue in Baltimore at the end of June 2014.
Employees were informed Tuesday and sent home.
The approximate 300 workers will receive transition assistance packages, including severance pay as well as outplacement support in seeking new jobs.
“Over the last couple of years we have been adapting our manufacturing footprint to align production with the plants that are geographically positioned to best serve our customers with excellence and at the lowest total delivered cost,” a news release says. “At the same time, volume and mix have been changing in the laundry category, such that we can no longer produce product competitively at our Baltimore plant. Over the next few months we will transfer production from Baltimore to our Bowling Green, Ky. manufacturing plant.”
The company says this decision is a result of changing business needs and is not a reflection of the Baltimore community or its dedicated workforce.
Other Local News:
- Police Activity Surrounds New Eastern Inn In Elkton
- Md. Olympic Champ Runner Tweets He Was On Deadly Australian Theme Park Ride
- Michael Phelps Talks ‘Awful’ Ravens, World Series On Facebook Live
- After Wins In Rio, Blind Baltimore Paralympian Conquers Alcatraz Swim
- Mother, Stepfather Charged In 9-Year-Old’s December Death