BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A reminder from the state fire marshal–always check the batteries in your smoke detector!
So far in 2014, seven fire-related deaths have been reported across the state.
Four of those incidents had dead or missing smoke alarm batteries.
A new state law went into effect last year, requiring homeowners to switch over to a 10-year sealed-in battery operated smoke alarm.
Two-thirds of all home fire deaths occur in homes with either no smoke alarm, or no working smoke alarm.
For more information on fire safety, click here.
Other Local News:
- Baltimore Sets Record Low Temperature Early Wednesday Morning
- Kennedy Krieger Aquatic Therapy Helps Patients With Spinal Cord Injuries
- Controversial Canton Bike Lane Getting Another Chance
- Coast Guard, Good Samaritan Help Save Boaters Off Ocean City Coast
- Baltimore Police Arrest Repeat Offender For Attempted Murder