BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A reminder from the state fire marshal–always check the batteries in your smoke detector!
So far in 2014, seven fire-related deaths have been reported across the state.
Four of those incidents had dead or missing smoke alarm batteries.
A new state law went into effect last year, requiring homeowners to switch over to a 10-year sealed-in battery operated smoke alarm.
Two-thirds of all home fire deaths occur in homes with either no smoke alarm, or no working smoke alarm.
For more information on fire safety, click here.
Other Local News:
- Salvation Army Closing A Baltimore Family Shelter
- Riders Safely Removed After Roller Coaster Stalls At Md. Six Flags
- Ex-Maryland Senator Awaiting Fraud Sentence To Repay $5K
- Md. Senator Bashes Trump Administration After Touring Detention Facilities Housing Children Of Illegal Immigrants
- Severe Thunderstorms Leave Path Of Destruction Across Region