Md. Schools Running Out Of Snow Days As Winter Wreaks Havoc
Get Breaking News First
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ)—As this storm wreaked havoc on our area, it’s also hitting the number of snow days left for schools around the state.
Gigi Barnett has more on how schools are scrambling to make up the gap.
Doors are locked. Buses are at a standstill. Blame it all on the snow. Again.
As students enjoy another snow day, this fun will cost.
Many districts are fresh out of days.
“I better make some cookies,” one parent said with a laugh.
“It looks like we might be in school until July at this point, if this continues,” said Johanna Liner, parent.
Yeah, it does. After Thursday’s snowfall, here’s what the tally looks like:
- Anne Arundel County has used five days. It only budgeted four.
- Baltimore City is over by one, using six snow days thus far.
- Baltimore County is already calling Friday a snow day, so add that with Thursday’s and all of its seven snow days are gone.
- Harford County is over by one snow day, using eight days so far.
- Howard County has a one-day deficit, using six days so far.
- And Carroll County–hit the hardest–has used three more than the five snow days it set aside.
With so many snow days burned, school leaders are drawing on spring break and teacher work days for makeups.
For some, that means warm vacations will come later than sooner.
“I have a concern about that. I spoke with my children this weekend about it. I was like, ‘If you have to make up these days, then we’ll have to push our vacation back.’ That kind of messes things up,” said Markette Williams, parent.
Another option on the table is to use Presidents’ Day on Monday. Some school districts have already decided to use it as a makeup day.
Meanwhile, the worst district so far is Garrett County. It set aside six snow days and has already more than doubled that at 14.
Frederick County is also out of days. School leaders there will use a teacher work day and the first day of spring break to make up the time off.
Other Local News:
- Suspect Arrested After 2nd Robbery Attempt In Federal Hill This Week
- Report: Manny Machado To Undergo Season-Ending Knee Surgery
- Police Search For 2 Missing Elkton Teens Last Seen Getting Into Dark Colored Car
- Anne Arundel County F.O.P. Supports Ferguson Officer With Donation
- Social Worker Who Counsels Teens Faces Child Porn Charges