Powerball Jackpot Worth Estimated $425 Million
Get Breaking News First
BALTIMORE (WJZ) — The sixth-largest Powerball jackpot in history might be awarded Wednesday night, if someone is holding the lucky ticket. Stores are seeing a frenzied rush on sales.
Gigi Barnett has more on the jackpot that keeps growing.
It’s what people are talking about at the Soda Pop Shop in Woodlawn: how to spend $425 million. The possibilities are endless.
“Jamaica. I’m going to Jamaica,” said Charlotte Blake.
“Let’s say Sweden. I’m not coming back for a while,” said Bill Jenkins.
Jenkins goes the Quick Pick way. His strategy to win: buy only one ticket.
“It doesn’t matter,” he said. “Gonna win.”
So far, Wednesday night’s jackpot is the sixth largest in history.
Maryland Lottery spokeswoman Erica Palmisano says the state’s players have fared pretty well, winning the second-tier $1 million prize nine times last year.
“Somebody is absolutely going to win,” she said.
Yet the odds are stacked: one in 175 million.
“It’s great to be the one. I hope I’m the one,” said Otis Talley.
Powerball is played in 45 states, Washington, D.C. and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Other Local News:
- Ravens’ O.J. Brigance, Diagnosed With ALS, Takes The Ice Bucket Challenge
- Maryland State Fair Is Officially Underway
- Several Businesses Evacuated As Crews Investigate Building Fire
- Man Charged With DUI After Leading O.C. Police In High-Speed Chase
- Social Worker Who Counsels Teens Faces Child Porn Charges