SEVERNA PARK, Md. (AP) — Maryland Natural Resources Police say a mother and father have been charged with child abuse after the family, including two boys, was found living on a squalid sailboat on the Magothy River.
Police say the U.S. Coast Guard and Anne Arundel County Child Protective Services boarded the 28-foot sailboat last week after receiving multiple calls about the boat, including reports of two boys huddled together on the deck.
Officials say they found the family of five, including an adult son, and two dogs living in a 9-by-10 foot space with no electricity, heat or running water and the bow was filled with trash.
Police say John and Sherri Kelly are charged with two counts each of felony second-degree child abuse and misdemeanor neglect of a minor.
(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Other Local News:
- 2 Dead, 1 Critical After Separate Shootings In Montgomery County, Suspect In Custody
- Mitchell Courthouse Will Remain Closed Into Next Week
- Suspect In Montgomery, Prince George’s Co. Shootings Arrested
- D.C. Metro GM Announces Hours Reductions, Long Term Track Closures In Aggressive Repair Plan
- City Police Make Arrest In March Shooting