BALTIMORE (WJZ)—Monday, the United States marked an anniversary that originated right here in Baltimore: National Anthem Day.
On March 3, 1931, President Herbert Hoover designated “The Star-Spangled Banner” as our official National Anthem.
It was written by Francis Scott Key during the War of 1812 when we saw the flag flying over Fort McHenry during the British attack on Baltimore.
Other Local News:
- Justice Dept. Focuses On Police Treatment of Mentally Ill
- Man Charged In Recent Annapolis Murder Now Charged In Similar 4-Year-Old Case
- Police: Months After Barricade With Deputies, Baltimore County Cop Found Dead In Home
- Parents, Kids Celebrate First Day Of School In Baltimore
- Belize Boy Travels to Baltimore to Receive Life-Changing Eye Treatment