BALTIMORE (WJZ)—Monday, the United States marked an anniversary that originated right here in Baltimore: National Anthem Day.
On March 3, 1931, President Herbert Hoover designated “The Star-Spangled Banner” as our official National Anthem.
It was written by Francis Scott Key during the War of 1812 when we saw the flag flying over Fort McHenry during the British attack on Baltimore.
Other Local News:
- Maryland Man Sentenced To 40 Years In Death Of Infant Son
- Witness: Suspect Gathered Co-workers Before Shooting, Said ‘I Want To Say Something To Everybody’
- One Step Closer: First Portion Of Hyperloop System Between New York and Washington Approved
- ‘In Seconds, He Shot My Three Friends’: Workplace Shooting Survivor Recounts Horror
- Witness: Workplace Shooter Was Increasingly Angry, Hostile