HANOVER, Md. (WJZ) — What was thought to be gunfire inside Arundel Mills Mall turns out to be fireworks.
Police responded to the Cinemark Theater for a “shots fired” call just after 10 p.m. Saturday.
They evacuated the building and searched for evidence of a shooting, but found none.
Investigators say someone set off a homemade device with possible fireworks inside a juice bottle.
“This looks like somebody potentially was pulling a prank inside of a crowded movie theater. We don’t have time for that type of foolishness, and we want to bring this person or persons to justice. We want anyone with information to contact the Anne Arundel County Police or the Fire Marshall’s Office,” said. Lt. T.J. Smith, Anne Arundel County Police.
The detonation made a loud sound, causing some people to think a gun had been fired.
Police say there were more than 300 people in the 8:30 p.m. screening of 300: The Rise of Empire.
The theater was evacuated as a precaution. There were no injuries related to the detonation.
Anyone with information should call 410-222-6155.
Other Local News:
- Some Concerned Over School’s Decision to Not Factor In Homework
- New Life For Some Flood-Ravaged Businesses In Ellicott City
- Japan authorizes $2M to study high speed train in Maryland
- Medical marijuana panel releases applicant rankings
- ‘Serial’ Alibi Witness Responds to Allegations That Claim She Lied In Adnan Syed Case