HANOVER, Md. (WJZ) — What was thought to be gunfire inside Arundel Mills Mall turns out to be fireworks.
Police responded to the Cinemark Theater for a “shots fired” call just after 10 p.m. Saturday.
They evacuated the building and searched for evidence of a shooting, but found none.
Investigators say someone set off a homemade device with possible fireworks inside a juice bottle.
“This looks like somebody potentially was pulling a prank inside of a crowded movie theater. We don’t have time for that type of foolishness, and we want to bring this person or persons to justice. We want anyone with information to contact the Anne Arundel County Police or the Fire Marshall’s Office,” said. Lt. T.J. Smith, Anne Arundel County Police.
The detonation made a loud sound, causing some people to think a gun had been fired.
Police say there were more than 300 people in the 8:30 p.m. screening of 300: The Rise of Empire.
The theater was evacuated as a precaution. There were no injuries related to the detonation.
Anyone with information should call 410-222-6155.
Other Local News:
- Proceeds From Fundraiser Going To Scholarship Named After Fallen Ellicott City Hero
- 24-Hour Lacrosse Tournament Raises Money For Veterans
- Local Group Pushing For Cleaner Air In Baltimore Region With Campaign
- 1 Killed, 8 Injured In Fiery Crash On Woodrow Wilson Bridge
- Cause Finally Revealed In Deaths Of 13 Bald Eagles Back In 2016