GERMANTOWN, Md. (WJZ) — The case made national headlines–children killed inside their Montgomery County home in what the suspects called an attempted exorcism.
Now there’s new developments as a Montgomery County grand jury hands down first-degree murder indictments.
Zakieya Avery and Monifa Sanford are accused of killing Avery’s 1-year-old and 2-year-old children in a Germantown townhouse in January.
They are also indicted on two counts of attempted murder for stabbing and wounding Avery’s other children–a 5-year-old girl and 8-year-old boy.
The women told investigators they believed evil spirits jumped between the bodies of the children and they needed to perform an exorcism to drive the demons out.
Police say had a worried neighbor not called 911, the two wounded children likely would have died.
Other Local News:
- Md. School Shooting: Shooter Dead At Great Mills High School, 2 Others Injured
- 2nd Day Of Spring Could Bring Most Significant Snow Of ‘Winter’ For Central Md.
- Prayer Vigil Held After Md. School Shooting
- Baltimore Hospital Cited Over Woman Left In Cold In Hospital Gown
- Md. Bill Would Increase Texting While Driving Fine To $500