GERMANTOWN, Md. (WJZ) — The case made national headlines–children killed inside their Montgomery County home in what the suspects called an attempted exorcism.
Now there’s new developments as a Montgomery County grand jury hands down first-degree murder indictments.
Zakieya Avery and Monifa Sanford are accused of killing Avery’s 1-year-old and 2-year-old children in a Germantown townhouse in January.
They are also indicted on two counts of attempted murder for stabbing and wounding Avery’s other children–a 5-year-old girl and 8-year-old boy.
The women told investigators they believed evil spirits jumped between the bodies of the children and they needed to perform an exorcism to drive the demons out.
Police say had a worried neighbor not called 911, the two wounded children likely would have died.
Other Local News:
- 24 ‘Murdaland Mafia Piru’ Gang Members Charged In Racketeering Conspiracy
- AACo. Tackling Cat Problem After 46,360 Were Turned Into State Shelters In 2015
- Police ID Man Killed In Baltimore Co. Shooting
- Man Sentenced to 33 Years for Stabbing Girlfriend’s Ex
- Local Officials to Get Update on Silver Spring Apartment Explosion