ASPEN HILL, Md. (AP) — Montgomery County fire officials say 50 families have been displaced from their homes after a two-alarm fire.
The Washington Post reports that fire department spokesman Pete Piringer says firefighters called to Manor Apartments on Georgia Avenue on Thursday evening found heavy smoke coming from the three-story building.
Piringer says it took 90 firefighters about a half hour to put out the fire. He says medics evaluated an 11-year-old boy at the scene, but no one was injured.
The blaze was contained to the building where it started, but Piringer says authorities had to shut off utilities to other buildings, displacing 50 families. He says investigators believe the fire was caused by overheated electrical wires in the walls that sparked combustible material and likely burned undetected for a time.
(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)