BALTIMORE (WJZ) — One of the longest-tenured college basketball coaches in America is out of a job.
Fang Mitchell spent 28 years at Coppin State.
The school says it wants to go in another direction, not renewing Mitchell’s contract, and beginning the search for a new head coach.
Mitchell’s run of nearly three decades at Coppin included a streak of 11 straight winning seasons from 1988 to 2000. His teams made it to the NCAA tournament four times.
The last 10 years have been a struggle for the Eagles–with just one winning season and a record of 11-20 this past season.
At age 65, Mitchell says he has no plans to retire right now. He still wants to coach.
Other Local News:
- $5 Million Study Set for New Chesapeake Bay Crossing
- Baltimore Co. Board of Ed. Changes Air Conditioning Policy
- Guilty Plea For Parkville Man Who Videotaped Young Girls At Swim Meets
- USDA to Reopen Offices Closed After Email Threats
- ‘Preservation Resource Center’ Aims to Assist Ellicott City Flood Victims