Naval Academy Midshipman Dies After Skateboarding Accident
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ) — Naval Academy Midshipman Hans Loewen passed away Saturday at Shock Trauma in Baltimore. He’d sustained injuries in a skateboarding accident on March 22 and was in a coma.
“My wife, Barbara and I join the Brigade, staff and faculty in mourning the loss of Midshipman Hans Loewen,” said Naval Academy Superintendent Vice Adm. Michael Miller. “Hans was a vibrant Midshipman who lived his life to the fullest, and that spirit will be forever imprinted on his classmates and the Naval Academy. As we celebrate Hans’ courage and commitment, we also come together in support for his family and friends, and all who were touched by his presence. Our heartfelt sympathies go out to the Loewen’s, and our extended USNA family, during this very difficult time.”
Loewen was an oceanography major and was 20 years old.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
Other Local News:
- New Technology Aims To Stop Growing Number Of Hot Car Deaths
- Multi-Million Dollar Under Armour Campaign Targeting Women
- Woman Charged After Crashing SUV Into Government Building In Towson
- Brother Of Md. Man Who Died In Liberia Remembers Final Words
- Ray Rice Publicly Apologizes To His Wife Following Assault, 2-Game Suspension