BALTIMORE (WJZ)—For the second time this week, Baltimore sports fans celebrate opening day. This time it was at Pimlico.
Jessica Kartalija reports live racing returned to old Hilltop.
Countdown to the Preakness Stakes starts now. It’s Opening Day at Pimlico.
“I am really excited. I’m really excited. I ride here in the morning, so Opening Day is always a big day,” Matt Cunningham, exercise rider.
The Opening Day features nine races with fans diligently studying their forms and hoping to win big.
“Opening day is like–it gives you that tickle for the Preakness. It gets you started for the horses to come back to Baltimore,” said Derek Batts, racing fan.
Preakness–a race for the people and a party for the people–is quickly approaching with Lorde announced as the concert headliner for the InfieldFEST.
“It is always exciting to come back to Pimlico. It has a special feel, not only from a racing perspective but from Baltimore’s perspective,” said Tom Chuckas, Maryland Jockey Club.
Some have been coming all their lives.
“I love the Preakness to stay and it never left, so I am here every meet,” Batts said.
For others, it’s a new experience.
“This is actually my first time at Pimlico Race Course. Being from Baltimore, I know that’s quite a statement, but it’s my first time and it’s good to be here,” said John Manekin.
Live racing takes place four days a week, Thursday through Sunday.
Other Local News:
- Hurricane Maria Now Cat. 1, Tropical Storm Warnings Issued For NC Coast
- NFL Players Protest National Anthem During Sunday Games Following President’s Comments
- Lewis Scores 3 TDs As Jaguars Beat Ravens In London 44-7
- Police Arrest Suspect After Man Dies From Brutal Beating Earlier This Month
- Police Investigating After 4 People Shot In Brooklyn Park