BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Maryland trainer Richard “Dickie” Small passed away Friday after a battle with cancer.
Small trained Breeders’ Cup Classic winner Concern. Equibase says he had 1,199 wins throughout his career. He also trained Caesar’s Wish, Broad Brush and Tactile and Valley Crossing.
“Dickie was the consummate horsemen,” said Maryland Jockey Club stakes coordinator Coley Blind, a friend of Small for more than 40 years. “Horses came first. He put everything into the horses. He knew everything about his horse right down to the pimples. He was a good man and very easy to deal with from the racing office perspective.”
Small was 68.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
Other Local News:
- Civil Rights Groups Ask Charges To Be Dropped Against Pregnant, Muslim MICA Teacher Removed From SW Flight
- Gov. Hogan Sends National Guard To US Virgin Islands
- Police: Howard County’s 2017 Overdose Tally Surpasses 2016’s Total
- Bank Robbery In Baltimore County Leads To Crash, Arrest In The City
- Police: Suspect Shot, Killed While Trying To Rob Off-Duty Officer’s Home