BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Maryland trainer Richard “Dickie” Small passed away Friday after a battle with cancer.
Small trained Breeders’ Cup Classic winner Concern. Equibase says he had 1,199 wins throughout his career. He also trained Caesar’s Wish, Broad Brush and Tactile and Valley Crossing.
“Dickie was the consummate horsemen,” said Maryland Jockey Club stakes coordinator Coley Blind, a friend of Small for more than 40 years. “Horses came first. He put everything into the horses. He knew everything about his horse right down to the pimples. He was a good man and very easy to deal with from the racing office perspective.”
Small was 68.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
Other Local News:
- Baltimore Police Working To Retain Officers Despite High Crime & Overtime Issues
- 5-Alarm Fire Near University Of Maryland Under Control
- Police Arrest Drone Operator For Interfering During College Park Fire
- MLB Suspending Red Sox Pitcher Matt Barnes Following Machado Incident
- Carfentanil Blamed For 3 Recent Deaths In Maryland