BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Maryland trainer Richard “Dickie” Small passed away Friday after a battle with cancer.
Small trained Breeders’ Cup Classic winner Concern. Equibase says he had 1,199 wins throughout his career. He also trained Caesar’s Wish, Broad Brush and Tactile and Valley Crossing.
“Dickie was the consummate horsemen,” said Maryland Jockey Club stakes coordinator Coley Blind, a friend of Small for more than 40 years. “Horses came first. He put everything into the horses. He knew everything about his horse right down to the pimples. He was a good man and very easy to deal with from the racing office perspective.”
Small was 68.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
Other Local News:
- 1 Injured After Tractor-Trailers, Cars Collide On I-95
- Cleanup Underway As Severe Thunderstorms Leave Path Of Destruction In Baltimore Region
- Suspicious Package Reported At Baltimore Courthouse
- Maryland Fleet Week And Air Show Returns To Baltimore In October
- Local Non-Profits Building Community Garden Accessible For Senior Citizens