BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Maryland trainer Richard “Dickie” Small passed away Friday after a battle with cancer.
Small trained Breeders’ Cup Classic winner Concern. Equibase says he had 1,199 wins throughout his career. He also trained Caesar’s Wish, Broad Brush and Tactile and Valley Crossing.
“Dickie was the consummate horsemen,” said Maryland Jockey Club stakes coordinator Coley Blind, a friend of Small for more than 40 years. “Horses came first. He put everything into the horses. He knew everything about his horse right down to the pimples. He was a good man and very easy to deal with from the racing office perspective.”
Small was 68.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
Other Local News:
- City Schools Face Largest Budget Gap In History, Mayor Asks Gov. For Help
- Maryland JCC One Of Multiple Centers To Receive Bomb Threat Monday
- Victim Of Notorious Baltimore Priest Says Police Were In On Sexual Abuse
- Meet WJZ’s 2017 Black History Oratory Competition Winner: Jeremiah Pearl
- City Council Asking State To Turn Over Control Of Baltimore PD