BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Maryland trainer Richard “Dickie” Small passed away Friday after a battle with cancer.
Small trained Breeders’ Cup Classic winner Concern. Equibase says he had 1,199 wins throughout his career. He also trained Caesar’s Wish, Broad Brush and Tactile and Valley Crossing.
“Dickie was the consummate horsemen,” said Maryland Jockey Club stakes coordinator Coley Blind, a friend of Small for more than 40 years. “Horses came first. He put everything into the horses. He knew everything about his horse right down to the pimples. He was a good man and very easy to deal with from the racing office perspective.”
Small was 68.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
Other Local News:
- Ex-School Aide Indicted On 270 Counts In Sex Abuse Case
- Md., DC Democrats Continuing Push for Gun-Control Laws
- Loved Ones of Lor Scoota Demands Justice For Slain Rapper
- Man Seriously Injured After Tree Falls Onto Passenger Bus in AACo.
- Authorities Investigate Suspicious Vehicle At Aberdeen Proving Ground